Sunday, January 19, 2020

Temperature’s up, temperature’s down


Yesterday I went to a baby shower for my daughter and her partner. It wasn’t extremely hot in the pub, but I was hot. This morning I went into the Rocklea market, and the temperature was only 28 degrees – but I thought it had to be high 30s. I sweated, yesterday and today. I took a wee towel and wiped sweat off myself but dripped more than I had thought I would have. And yet it wasn’t as hot yesterday or today as it had been last week, or the week before.

Most of the time in those last weeks I stayed locked inside my unit, with my aircon on, feeling reasonable cool. I hate… I hate… feeling hot. I avoided the heat, I hated the heat, I hated being on my own, but I was cool.

I looked up for how the weather’s going to be in the next week, and according to the Weatherzone synoptic charts it looks dry today, but there will be heavy rain tomorrow and light rain Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I wonder if that will tell the same false weather predictions that BOM told me last week. They had said it would have rained all week, but the rain missed here until Friday.

I looked at the BOM and found charts showing the difference between 9am, which is higher humidity, and 3pm, which showed a lower humidity. No kidding – that is due to the temperatures, and 3pm is far too hot in summer. Inside needs to be cool or humidity could cause colonies of bacteria… mould. I’ve read about rental tenants suffering too much with something like this. Their landlord should ensure that the property is dry and healthy. Do you have air con? Perhaps you can read this article from Renew which looks at how condensation can cause a lot of problems in your home. They said:

“Moisture problems can impact on aesthetics, but, much more importantly, they can adversely affect the health of a building’s inhabitants. With high internal humidity and moisture accumulating in the building’s structure, cases of ‘sick homes’ with microbial infestations of mould and fungi are on the rise.

I’m think I no longer have to look forward to that, but I’m sure my power bills are higher!

Unfortunately it seems that too many landlords get bad housing developments for tenants built. Conversation in July last year reported of a so-called ‘finished’ development which was closed off because it caused health issues for the tenants. It says that’s not one small issue, but it “is a greater systemic problem: the fact that hundreds of thousands of Australians are forced into inadequate or unhealthy housing by high housing costs.” If you, personally, are suffering this, then you know that this is wrong. I hope you don’t let mould grow in your rental home, or even in the home you own for yourself.

I’m coming round in my full circle, and back to rain and temperatures. At Rocklea market this morning the sky looked dark and threatening. It didn’t rain when I left, but it rained on the way home. I felt like I’d been out in that rain, I was so wet! When I got home I turned my aircon on and lay on my bed – on top of a towel to catch my sweat – and stayed there for an hour until I had dried out and could have a shower. I know one thing – in future I don’t think I will go out anywhere during the hot days in summer! I said it earlier and I will say it again: I hate… I hate… feeling hot.

Roll on winter!!



No comments:

Post a Comment