Sunday, July 10, 2016

Bridge to Brisbane



Stroke Foundation is Australia’s biggest stroke support organisation. They make funds to help survivors and do a lot of other work. They had been selling the “Beanie”, a blue winter woolen hat which they sold for support of people who don’t have any other funds. Survivors, like me, have had our stories printed on their website. 

They print a lot of information about how to be aware of a stroke and how to get the victim help. They have supported the Stroke Week, which is on again in 2016, and list a lot of community fundraising on their website. 

My ex and I moved from NZ to Brisbane in 2005. The first full year after we arrived I became aware of the B2B run/walk before the second bridge was built. Walking up the bridge was interesting, but at that stage I was very fit, and I loved the feeling that I had done another 10km walk/run. Since then I’d done it about every second year, even when the second bridge was being built, until 2014. By then I was in hospital for my brain aneurysm, my heart stopped, and when it started again I had a stroke.

I’ve had a second blog which gave information about what I encountered and how I faced it. Have a read if you can – there is a whole lot of info about brain aneurysms and my own feelings. I was registered for the Mother’s Classic in May 2014 but I didn’t make it because I was locked into BIRU. Instead I have only been involved in one 5km walk, the Mother’s Classic one in Southbank in 2015 where I didn’t need to talk. I walked alone amongst the crowd. I have the pink t-shirt and black winter jacket which were the stuff I’d bought the year earlier, to keep that memory for me. 

Recently, as a member, I got an invitation to join Stroke Foundation for the Bridge to Brisbane 10kms walk/run to raise funds. I am joining them for my return to that, to support them for supporting me.

I am very much looking forward to this – and I need to prepare! Back at the start of 2000 I had become involved with the Les Mills gym in my home town, and I loved Body Combat. I also did time on the treadmill, and lots of weights. Each gym I’ve been into over here I’d do 5km on the treadmill and would find the weights area, which was where I used to “live” back in NZ. I don’t do it any more but an occasional class helped me, although nowadays my exercise is pretty much just a short walk with my dog, Jordie, which is so s-l-o-w. After reading the invitation I made a decision that I need to exercise and Jordie needs to sleep. I have to do that every day until I have rebuilt my body to put up with a 10km run/walk. 

I invite any friends or readers to come and join me and help me to support Stroke Foundation which supports me. Wish me the best, and I hope to see you all there!

 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment