Monday, February 1, 2016

Welcome to my hell


A year ago I moved into Scarborough. I loved the name; the post code area didn’t really entrance me, but it was a point on the peninsula. So much beach: I could walk my dog!

Along my street - new houses being built on both sides
Last post I asked What is happening to us??? Today I took a drive around Scarborough and took photos of what’s being built here. In the year since I’ve been living in this beach area the building seems to be… wrong. Houses are being rebuilt from one level to two levels; tall multi-apartment buildings have sprung up in the last year – some of them in a few months.

Rebuilds, new builds, new buildings: Scarborough
Very few shops, no supermarket, mostly cafes or restaurants along the beach front. There is an Australian Post shop, a chemist, a second-hand shop and a few others. The largest shop has been set up in the basement of a two-storied very old house in the middle of the beach front road. The operators run their business as a Bali import company, with many ornaments, paintings and clothes brought into Australia from Bali and elsewhere. They have included an outside café in the garden and under the lovely marquee in the driveway. I like going here, because I love the old house. Sometimes I wonder how long it will stay there.

Scarborough is becoming not a relaxed place to live but a place for young and rich people.

Many years ago I somehow managed to be sold out of 4 houses and a section. The first one my dad had built in 1981 as a wedding present for me and my first husband. Two years later, in an absolutely stupid action, one of my cats had been shot dead in the top carpark. I felt we had to sell it. The real estate agent suggested to us to advertise it for $67k, but I felt we could get more so I advertised it for $79k. We got $74k. That was the end of my winnings.

Losing two further houses because of my ex's gambling problems ended my decision to own any house in my lifetime, but I thought too soon.

Fifteen years later, after I met and married my second husband, we moved to Aus. He wanted to buy, so I agreed. Bad deal. Within three years my ex had lost his business, owed heaps of money and wanted to sell. We did, and I ended up with a lot of his debt.

I am again single and I rent. I see the houses rebuilt and newly built, I see the huge rental apartment buildings, and I get frustrated and sad again at how the prices of houses have jumped far too much for people like me.

If I ever won Lotto I think I would certainly buy a house – just for me – but that’s a dream. In the meantime, prices are ridiculous, the profits made by overseas owners of the buildings they build are far too big, and people like me will never again own a house. 

“What is happening to us???” It sounds like we're in hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment