Thursday, November 19, 2015

WHO said it?


On 7 October this year I posted about how so many people will quote something but never say who originally said it or will not say that it is "Unknown". This morning I am saying the same stuff.  Am I ticked off? Hell YES!!!

I did a pic for a quote I saw this morning, and this says it is "Unknown" as to who said it because I couldn't trace it. Every quote which can't be traced to the real sayer should acknowledge "Unknown".

This morning on Facebook I saw this post which had come up on a friend's page which came from another FB page called Your Tango where it is not identified. Your Tango certainly wants to be identified! They identify as "news/media website" with 446,301 "likers". But this post had no "quoter" named on it; wasn't them - why would they care??

So this lead to my research to try and find who said this. I found:
  • 3 November - Damn Depression on Twitter quoted it without any name or acknowledgement
  • 12 August - Your Tango's unnamed quote - and with no acknowledgement - was "liked" by 184,687 people, and shared(!) by 679,789 people!!
  • 11 weeks ago - Tessa Richens through Lessons Learned in Life and on PinIt quoted it without any name or acknowledgement
  • 18 weeks ago - Stephanie Hoang through Higher Perspective and on PinIt quoted it without any name or acknowledgement
  • 19 weeks ago Amber Thaxton through The Idealist and on PinIt quoted it without any name or acknowledgement
  • Whisper had quotes without names or acknowledgement 4 months ago, 6 months ago, 7 months ago and 2 x 8 months ago
  • Funkyjunk quoted it in April, without a name or acknowledgement
  • Another one in Pinit was unlocked and shared around - quoted without any name or acknowledgement
The only decent quote page came from Book of All Quotes which said Unknown. Yes!!  THIS is exactly how any quote MUST be regarded when it is illustrated and a person was unable to identify the speaker.

But that wasn't the end! I found a different quote which intrigued me - "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will only cause permanent psychological damage". This one had just happened to turn up in Google whilst I was researching. No name quoted. No acknowledgement. I went into PinIt and found the person - Jen Barton - who had put this up. And I found that she had probably got it from Heathshire, which is a UK organisation which says about itself that they are an "online mental health resource. We help patients find local mental health services and aid mental health professionals with marketing, mental health news and business support." The trouble is, this organisation has a page with "93 Depression Quotes and Images from Social Media". Most of which are not given any sort of acknowledgement!

Hell, how unreal is this trite idea? How many people throughout the world have done a quote which is never acknowledged to the person who said it and have posted their artwork which is found and shared? Is there ANYONE who agrees with me that this sort of bullshit is NOT GOOD??

In my 7 October post I had found a lot of people who would say that they had said whatever they had posted, when proof would show that this quote went backwards time and time again. The trouble which I can see now is that ANY quote which is NOT acknowledged to the person who ACTUALLY SAID IT will be claimed by ten - a hundred - a thousand! people throughout this world.

That, as far as I am concerned, is bullshit which will kick the head of the actual person who actually said something. I have never had 679,789 shares. Or even 67, but it doesn't worry me. What does worry me is seeing so many unacknowledged quotes on other websites. I only do them because I believe in acknowledgement, but perhaps I should now drop my quote pictures.

It's far too late in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment