Thursday, August 13, 2015

... and keep on learning

I still belong to LinkedIn. It was, two years ago, very good with my work. Now I have changed my profile to reflect where I am now. Sometimes I'll read stuff which is posted on LinkedIn. 

This morning I found an article by Dave Collins, who was connected to me on WHS. A couple of days ago Dave had posted an article by Rob Sams titled "I'm Still Not That Into Safety". I read that, and went into the comments and met something possibly very much about me. It talked about "wicked problems".

I went into Wikipedia and searched it out. A "wicked problem" is described as "a problem that is difficult or impossible to solve because of incomplete, contradictory, and changing requirements that are often difficult to recognize." Whilst much of the discussion talks about work problems, this description set me off. 

In the Wikipedia page there are some discussions about "Characteristics", which, perhaps about work, seem applicable to me. In 1973 Rittel and Webber listed 10 characteristics:
  1. There is no definitive formulation of a wicked problem.
  2. Wicked problems have no stopping rule.
  3. Solutions to wicked problems are not true-or-false, but good or bad.
  4. There is no immediate and no ultimate test of a solution to a wicked problem.
  5. Every solution to a wicked problem is a "one-shot operation"; because there is no opportunity to learn by trial and error, every attempt counts significantly.
  6. Wicked problems do not have an enumerable (or an exhaustively describable) set of potential solutions, nor is there a well-described set of permissible operations that may be incorporated into the plan.
  7. Every wicked problem is essentially unique.
  8. Every wicked problem can be considered to be a symptom of another problem.
  9. The existence of a discrepancy representing a wicked problem can be explained in numerous ways. The choice of explanation determines the nature of the problem's resolution.
  10. The social planner has no right to be wrong (i.e., planners are liable for the consequences of the actions they generate).
These characteristics include economic, environmental and political issues, but do not, in this discussion, seem to include people, and yet that is ME that I see! This, for me, is the result of my stroke. In my now-life, every Wicked Problem is essentially unique! 

Further on in the discussion on the Wikipedia page, Robert Horn talked about Social Messes, and listed the following characteristics:
  1. No unique “correct” view of the problem;
  2. Different views of the problem and contradictory solutions;
  3. Most problems are connected to other problems;
  4. Data are often uncertain or missing;
  5. Multiple value conflicts;
  6. Ideological and cultural constraints;
  7. Political constraints;
  8. Economic constraints;
  9. Often a-logical or illogical or multi-valued thinking;
  10. Numerous possible intervention points;
  11. Consequences difficult to imagine;
  12. Considerable uncertainty, ambiguity;
  13. Great resistance to change; and,
  14. Problem solver(s) out of contact with the problems and potential solutions.
For me, this is so much description of ME! Yes, of my brain. Yes, of what I do every day after my stroke. Yes, difficult to imagine. And yes, so much "considerable uncertainty, ambiguity".

This description of Wicked Problems is something that people (men) will relate to work. Not to people. Not to our brains. Not to how we react every day. Not how we got this problem. But for me, this is a winning description. So many stroke survivors I have met in the last few months seem to have the same sort of problems which I suffer, which are mentioned on the characteristic list. This could really be a wonderful start of a recovery field.

The Wicked Problem. Perhaps I am way behind by relating this to ME, but hey, my stroke will eventually receive this. 

And maybe it will work!


No comments:

Post a Comment