Saturday, February 29, 2020

I have a brain injury


I am now depressed. That’s now normal for me. It will last for me for a day or two, when I will get happy again. Why? I have a brain injury. Can I tell anyone? Would they believe me? I am tired of existing in other people’s world. Do I have to carry my medical report every day, get them to read it? It’s six years old, it’s 8 pages… I don’t think anyone would read it. Do I tell them I had a stroke six years ago? Does everyone believe that I would have recovered from that by now?

Do you understand how I feel every day when I am fighting to stay within your world??

Most of my life I spent living with other people. Now I live entirely alone: sometimes I love it – yet other times I can’t deal with it. I just crawl into my bed, no matter how early, and play Sudoko until I drift off to sleep.

Synapse has a very good article titled “When they don’t believe you have a brain injury”. This is many people I have met after brain aneurysm, after stroke with brain injury like me. This is ME. Please read this and understand me.

Brainline has a very good article titled “Lost & Found: What brain injury survivors want you to know”. This is many people who now work in a different place than they did before their injury, before their stroke like me. This is ME. Please read this and understand me.

They also wrote an article about life with brain injury back in 2010 and reviewed it in 2018 - read it, maybe there’s info in this for you: https://www.brainline.org/article/life-brain-injury-preparing-yourself-and-your-family

ABI and TBI are the same over the world. Google anything with ABI, TBI, brain injury or stroke in it. There are so many websites available about anything to do with these issues if you will read.

I found this saying in a website I read recently, but – my problem - I’ve forgotten where I saw it! My life will never be the same as previously. It has taken me four years to accept this, but I still don’t like it, I don’t like how I am now living, I don’t like that I can’t return to a full-time job.

Sometimes I live good… sometimes very good. Yet a small, non-consequential event can take me down. Most times nowadays is not where I used to be two years ago, but it’s lower than I may have been yesterday.

Read the Better Health site or the Queensland Government Health site on what causes ABI. Better Health says: “An ABI can affect intimate relationships, friendships, social networks, recreational and vocational activities. It may force the person and their immediate family to adapt to a completely new way of life and new kinds of relationships.” If your family member / friend / workmate is recovering, this might be what from. Queensland Health says that “[i]mpairments can be either temporary or permanent.” It’s up to you to understand that.

Read the Brain Foundation site on what causes brain aneurysms. They say that cerebral aneurysms are “a common disorder… present in probably 2% or more of adults…” yet few people even know about them.

Read the Stroke Foundation website of what causes a stroke. They note what causes strokes: “Blood may be interrupted or stop moving through an artery, because the artery is blocked (ischaemic stroke) or bursts (haemorrhagic stroke). When brain cells do not get enough oxygen or nutrients, they die. The area of brain damage is called a cerebral infarct.” Have you ever seen anyone who has suffered from this? Maybe it was your family member, your friend, your workmate. 

These are a very small number of websites which you can read if you Google, but they will help you to understand.

My brain aneurysm and stroke happened on 22 April 2014. That’s 6 years ago and I am not – and will never be – back to where I was before all that happened. I am now depressed. That’s normal. I will get happy again in a couple of days. Why? Because I have a brain injury.


No comments:

Post a Comment