Thursday, October 20, 2016

Personality and intelligence

Very recently I enrolled with AIB to do an MBA. Three years ago this would have been easy to complete, but on enrolling I felt a nervousness which seemed to take over me. After my stroke I knew I'd lost a lot of memories (many which are coming back!) and I had no idea whether or not I could actually do this degree. My first course is Leadership. I've read so much, listened to audio files, written notes, searched for information which I could include in my assignment, and worried about the exam at the end of this four week course.
This morning I was reading about the OCEAN 'model of personality', the dark side of personality traits, the 'Triarchic theory of intelligence and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). Three of the four of these areas seem very good. If you don't know about them, read on.
OCEAN is Open to experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness and Neuroticism. While I can see myself in many of the descriptions in these areas, I felt definitely at home with Neuroticism. It is, apparently, 'concerned with how people react to stress, change, failure or personal criticism'. People in higher neuroticism are 'passionate, intense, thin-skinned, moody, and anxious and lose their temper when stressed or criticised'.*
Triarchic theory of intelligence looks at analytical, practical and creative intelligence. Psychologists have, apparently, looked at where intelligence fits in and the implications it offers. I believed I 'discovered' intelligence 40 years ago, but perhaps I should just brush that off and think how these psychologists think!
The dark side of personality was bad/destructive leadership, managerial incompetence and managerial derailment. I used to work with someone like that.
The Myers-Briggs MBTI intrigued me. Many years ago, when I'd been made redundant from NZSC in New Zealand, I'd completed a typology from the Drake Omega System. My profile said I was Low Dominance Cooperative (temperate, humble, hesitant, deferring, timid, apprehensive, soft-hearted, 2 of 7), flexible Introversion Reserved (private, earnest, reserved, contemplative, quiet, selective communicator, creative, 3 of 7), Patience Paced (patient, mild, steady, dependable, paced, calm, accommodating (5 of 7) and Conformity Systematic (detailed, disciplined, dedicated, sensitive, conscientious, admirable, methodical, 6 of 7).
I looked up the Myers-Briggs 16 MBTI types, and found these two which seem definitive of me:
ENFJ: Warm, empathetic, responsive, and responsible. Highly attuned to the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. Find potential in everyone, want to help others fulfill their potential. May act as catalysts for individual and group growth. Loyal, responsive to praise and criticism. Sociable, facilitate others in a group, and provide inspiring leadership.
INFJ: Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision.
The 16 MBTI types are available on the Myers-Briggs website: http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/the-16-mbti-types.htm
I've probably read information which I don't need to fit into, and lots more about things that affect me. I may be feeling nervous, but I am telling myself to get into it and do well. This is finalising my recovery. Wish me luck!

*Hughes, R, Ginnett, R & Curphy, G 2015, Leadership: enhancing the lessons of experience, 8th edn, McGraw-Hill Education, New York

No comments:

Post a Comment