Friday, October 9, 2015

How could this happen?


40 years ago I was gang-raped. I didn’t ask for it. I didn’t expect it. I have, my entire adult life, been against rape.  Is there a “nowadays” question?

What is “rape”?

I have been in DV protests. I have supported One Billion, both actively in Brisbane and on internet world-wide. I have written a book about a woman who is raped – fiction, but I know this subject. I HATE men who are hitting or killing women. I hate men who decided, after sex (no real reason), to leave their women; I hate managers from workplaces who sexually abuse their female employees; I dislike, a whole lot, men who argue that DV isn’t real.

But what is “rape”?

Last night I read an article about a young disabled woman in a “for-profit” supposed caring accommodation who was allegedly raped by a disabled man in the same accommodation. People commenting on this article came down on him completely, saying that he should be prosecuted, and yet, apparently, police had said that he shouldn’t be charged because he is disabled.

There are no details of what “disability” he suffers. This is why I ask what is “rape”.

I don’t believe that any person can or should write an article without details of the rape situation. For me, rape is an actual event which can happen by a NORMAL man - or group of them. If a man is disabled, and not in a good relationship, why are they ever allowed to be alone with a woman whether she is disabled or not? Why is his “disability” mentioned, but with no details included so that any reader won't know why he might have done what he did? Why do so many readers blame him, rather than where he was when this happened?

Disability, under a meaning, is “a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.” If this rapist was disabled how did he rape? Was his disability in his brain or in his body? Did he truly understand what a rape is? If he was aggressive, why was he left alone with the woman that he attacked? Why – WHY – was he in the same “for-profit” supposed caring accommodation with the disabled woman he attacked??

40 years ago I didn’t even report my gang rape. None of the men who raped me were disabled. None of them were “good” men. None of them should have stayed out of jail, but I didn’t report it because I was far too scared. Things have changed so much in 40 years, and a long time ago I completely supported action against rape, DV and anything that was affecting women who were mistreated by men. 

The man who attacked this woman either didn’t know what he did or shouldn’t have been able to do it. I know, yes I truly know, what rape was or is, but no one should ever get raped by a man who is disabled and who is not, ever, kept away from any disabled woman by any person who is NOT disabled and who should be caring about anyone in the accommodation they are looking after.

This event is absolutely unacceptable – so prosecute the REAL rapist – the “for-profit” supposed caring accommodation!

No comments:

Post a Comment