Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Get on with it!

In February this year I was a year on into my RRV and I had the right to apply for citizenship. My income made this look not available - I had dropped to DSP after my aneurysm and stroke in April 2014, which is less than half what I had earned when I still had a "job". But belonging to OzKiwi, thankful to them for giving me the information which allowed me to apply for - and get - my RRV, now meant I should, at least, apply.

The information about fees is interesting. Most applicants pay a minimum for their citizenship application. Mine, it seems, has a discount for my DSP. I paid that and I certainly hope that it's real.

Completing the application online is hard, for people like me who have lost our own thoughts with our stroke. I had found that out since I'd been released from the hospital, but I didn't really have anyone to help me to apply, but I have finished it and sent it off - and now have to wait!

The citizenship is covered by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection with this site: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/fees_forms_appeals/online_apps/. Even the first page on this website gives a whole lot of links to other pages, which you need to check. The following points might help someone like me, who is applying for citizenship.
  • Determine if you are eligible. Many Kiwis, it seems, are not eligible. Australian governments have changed the CER 'rights'. Many years ago Kiwis came here from New Zealand without a required passport, but that law changed to call for passports from everyone. Sometime back in 2001 the visas and citizenship were cut off for Kiwis. Some will never be eligible.
  • What documents you need. This, basically, includes identity documents, good character documents and supporting documents. There is a separate link to a document checklist which has further links to
    tell you just what you need, including for your children. Perhaps they do this to frustrate every applicant. There is a Form 1195 to have completed and enclosed which requires someone who has known you for at least a couple of years, who already has an Australian passport.
  • Start your online citizenship application. This covers two general applications - Form 1300t for the age between 18-59 which seems fairly easy, and Form 1200 which covers 60 years of age and over, or 17 years of age and under. This also covers 18 year old people who have ongoing physical or mental incapacity. It doesn't seem to apply to older people who have ongoing physical or mental incapacity. I believe I have an ongoing mental incapacity which is why I'm on DSP. I applied on this form - I guess I will be eventually confirmed or turned down.
  • Continue your saved application. It usually can't be immediately finished so you will need to make a "sign in" log with your own password. The government department will send you an email with your Saved Application ID details. Don't lose your password, or you will need to start again!
  • Attach documents to your application. When you have completed your application you might then think about your documents. They have to be sent on after you have paid for and sent your application. You get about 7 days to send them on or you might have to re-do your application. The link within this link has more links to tell you what documents you should attach, how your documents should be attached and what size they should be.
  • Check the progress of your application. This is to follow your own application online, but, strangely, doesn't really tell me how long my application will be worked on. I received an email from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection just saying they'd received my documents, but they do not give you a date. I rang them a few weeks later to ask how long and they told me that it might be another 8 weeks. That is not "normal". There is a link to a Client Service Charter, which doesn't really tell you anything - except, maybe, in more links.
  • Technical information and accessibility. I just didn't even bother with going into the links for this one. To just open the link on the first page says: "We try to make the online information and systems user-friendly for you regardless of your ability or background, by following worldwide web standards and providing information for you in multiple formats." I think that will take me to all sort of places.  I just felt that putting my application in would give them something to look at...
  • Frequent asked questions for 1300t and 1290 online forms. If you have someone who knows anything about some HUGE website, they might just be able to read this. This link takes you to this page: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/fees_forms_appeals/online_apps/faq/ This page has links
    to a whole heap of questions, which have further links to other stuff. This, for me, is "phew!!"
If you are a Kiwi, or any other person of source, who is hoping to apply for citizenship here, just remember that using a "guide" will cost you. Lots. If you can have any feelings that you can do this, then DO IT.

I wish everyone who is applying the best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment