Thursday, October 30, 2014

So much to do!

After the last couple of weeks I have had to unwind my thoughts on what I have been doing.... it seems like a lot of stuff!

Last week I went to the Redcliffe pool to check it out. This place is 50m, a wee bit different than I was used to for quite a while. I seem to remember that the 50m pool I had swum in was in Hamilton, NZ, and the one I used over here is just 25m. But that was not a problem... recovery from my PA Hospital surgery was my ongoing problem. I did 10 lengths - 500m, a whole lot of short from what I had swum before I went in for my brain aneurysm!

Still, 7 months of no swimming picked up a little bit at Dolphins Health League. Their pool is 25m, which I am used to. I worked with Kara from CBRT the next day, doing just 500m but a whole extra training she worked me through. For the next couple of days my left arm was a wee bit sore! Last weekend, on Saturday, I had visited my doctor to get a medical release for my swimming, which will help me to get some training. It made up for itself this week, when I ramped my swim to 750m and then did a whole hour of Aqua Splash, with Kara joining me. I felt so good! I would love to take a class in the water, preferable that the timing of the movements are joined to the water, not simply jumping about too fast on the dry side.

On Sunday I took the train into CBD and joined the Walk Together event, from Kurilpa Park across the bridge to the event area on Roma Street. I am non-religious, but this event did not appear religious, just fully open for mixed people living in Australia - which includes me! It was fun, and, from many reports throughout the whole of Australia, I can hope that it will just keep moving forward. The refugees in this country are still held back by the LNP, on Nauru, which is totally unacceptable. Read the abc report of 28 October, about some Nauru refugees teenagers beaten by Nauru residents.

This week I applied to Redcliffe Art Gallery for a role as a volunteer, and yesterday I went to meet some people and looked through this small gallery. I met a person who has been a vollie for 12 years - and she is from NZ... funny that! I have been accepted, and will be volunteering one morning of the week. I am so looking forward to this, it seems like just a place where I will fit in (even if it's not as big as the Drury Lane Theatre...). Today I caught up with Anne and we went up to Seaside Art Gallery in town, to (for me) compare it to Redcliffe Gallery. Seaside seems to be a sale gallery, which is okay - but some 
of the paintings are so unprofessional. It's a pity to see the paintings with price tags on, some of which seem far too expensive. This painting is the one that I definitely loved it. It was done by Tricia Reust, who has been busy at her style since 1999. Have a look through her website, there are so many different paintings!

I note from the Redcliffe newspaper than Vernon Ah Kee, at the Redcliffe Art Gallery, won the $8,000 prize for his angle driven art work, which I found amazed. Ah Kee was born in North Queensland and is of the Kuku Yalandji, Waanji, Yidindji and Gugu Yimithirr peoples, and his current style is a hitting hard artist. This particular drawing was a later drawing of an earlier one which also appears at Redcliffe Art Gallery. It thrills me.

Later this afternoon Anne and I drove out to Scarborough and had a wonderful (much!) lunch before we walked down along the beach. Anne raced to a tree and hugged it - she is so green! We walked further along the beach and out the little pedestrian piece into the water, and headed back when we saw a large tortoise lying on the rocks under the water ahead of the Scarborough beach, obviously dead. I felt so sorry about this poor animal, and tried to contact the Moreton Bay Council but wasn't able to find the phone number on my phone because it sometimes seems... broken. I rang them from home a little later, and they were hoping to get someone out there to pick it up. It might be dead, but it needs some sort of respect. I would suggest this tortoise, which had a whole heaps of barnacles on its belly, was pretty old. Rest, fella.

Back home this avo, and my dogs are okay. So good with them... maybe I need to take them out for a walk later.

No comments:

Post a Comment