Sunday, January 5, 2014

When scammer alarm bells ring



The internet has made our world very small. In many ways that’s a very good thing – we have access to information and research that only 30 years ago was not freely available. We can keep in touch with friends and family who live in other locations. Through internet dating sites and groups like Meetup we can meet new people and maybe even form new relationships.

But with the ease of communication, scammers have become prolific. There are often stories circulating of another person – often a lonely woman - who has been scammed of thousands of dollars by someone in Nigeria or Eastern Europe or just about anywhere, posing as a nice, respectable person even locally. They have their stories down pat, and are obviously convincing enough that many of their targets are completely taken in. What they don’t have is a face you can touch.

I met my ex-husband on-line. He was local so we were able to meet in person and put the real human side – sight, sound, touch – to our subsequent 9 year relationship. I made friends in other cities, but I was able to meet them and know they were real people. It has been a rule which I have only broken a couple of times on my Facebook network, and then only because the contact was a friend of a friend of a friend or something similar. LinkedIn and Twitter are slightly different because it would be near impossible for me to meet all the people in those networks, given that they are spread across the world. It has sometimes concerned me how much of a public profile I have on those sites, but I have had no issues with anyone yet and most of my contacts are also contacts with many others in the network.

Early in 2013 I joined Meetup to meet new people in my local area and wider Brisbane. Meetup says about itself that it “helps groups of people with shared interests plan meetings and form offline clubs in local communities around the world.” I joined a range of groups associated with my interests, have met many people in person, made some wonderful new friends and know they are real people. So it was a bit unusual last night to receive a message from a person who had only just signed up to one of the Meetup groups that I am a member of who appeared to be there specifically, according to his profile, to “find his better half”.  I do not use Meetup as a dating tool, and I have not, until now, had any issues with Meetup because everyone I have met is local, and I can meet them in person. I responded to this gentleman suggesting that a coffee would be in order.  His response was a long one, giving me what was I assume was meant to be a more in depth look at him, including photos. I found many little warnings in what he wrote.

He claimed to be an architect and construction engineer, yet he could not make time for a simple coffee on a Sunday just after New Year with someone he opened the conversation with, when most other companies that someone in his industry would work with would be closed. He said that he would have to “check his schedule” to see when he could fit me in. If he is real, the fact that he has so little time available would not auger well for any future relationship.

He claimed to have a 20 year old daughter who lives in Sydney with her “Mom”. Immediate alarm bells – that is not a term widely used in Aus, except perhaps by immigrants from North America, yet this chap claimed to have been in Aus since childhood.

His email read like a cut-and-paste from a few different dating sites, trying to fulfil all the things he believed a woman my age would be looking for. In some places he did not use capitals (e.g. ‘i’ instead of ‘I’) but this was inconsistent throughout; he repeated himself a number of times but with different words; and in some places his spelling, grammar and English usage was excellent but in others it was atrocious.

If this guy is real, good luck to him, but perhaps Meetup is not the place to go looking for life partners. I can understand why, though, since the dating sites available are expensive and run from outside of Aus. However, I am tempted to believe that this is a scammer who has accessed the profile photos of some genuine bloke, probably not from Aus, and is using Meetup as a new platform for trying to get mature aged women to part with their money.

I’m not that desperate. I’m not interested in an email relationship, especially when I am getting those alarm bells in my head. It’s one reason why I don’t respond to men even from other cities within Aus – I can never know if they are real or genuine until I meet them in person. If someone truly is interested in meeting me, then they meet me. In person. And if they initiated the contact I would expect them to have time available to meet me within, at the very least, a day or two.

So thank you, whatever you name really is, but no thank you. I hope other women you contact also have enough sense to say no, unless you are prepared to front up and show you are a real person. Maybe that is the only way scammers will finally get the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment