Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Bludger or Battler? Tell me Mr Abbott

Dear Mr Abbott

In October I read a Sydney Morning Herald report which said that, following your election, you had met with NZ Prime Minister John Keys but ruled out any fairer economic rights for Kiwis living and working in Australia.  The report noted that:

"Nearly 55,000 New Zealanders moved to Australia last year alone but, unlike Australians moving in the opposite direction, they do not get access to a variety of social services even though they have full work rights and pay full taxes.

Nor are they able to achieve permanent residency unless they possess certain skills in shortage.”

That is me, in a nutshell, Mr Abbott.  I have lived and worked in Australia for 8 years.  I have paid taxes, supported Australian causes and charities, made some wonderful new Australian friends.  But, through matters entirely beyond my control, my circumstances have changed.

In July, Mr Abbott, I was diagnosed with a brain aneurysm (subsequently found to be two).  In September my employment was unexpectedly terminated. Because I am on a surgery waitlist I have been unable to get full time or permanent work that will in any way make use of my experience and qualifications.  And it seems I can’t even get a “lesser” role because I am “over-qualified” so they worry I won’t stay.  Even though I am in my late 50s and need to work.  Do you know how soul destroying that is, Mr Abbott, let alone to apply for job after job and not even receive a “thanks but no thanks” response?

Centrelink advises that I am not entitled to any sort of benefit or assistance. None at all. Because I am a Kiwi.

I researched a bit more, because I was sure that the Australia I loved when I moved here couldn’t be so heartless.  The National Welfare Rights Network has a printout that confirmed everything in the SMH report.  Other reports further added salt to my wound, and even stuff.co.nz noted the disparity:

“… New Zealanders who move to Australia are considered temporary residents upon arrival. They can work and live in Australia indefinitely - a right afforded only to Kiwis - but they cannot access many social security payments, including unemployment benefits.

To gain the same rights as Australians have in New Zealand, Kiwis must apply for permanent residency and meet strict skill requirements.

It has been estimated as many as half of the New Zealanders who have migrated to Australia in the last 12 years are ineligible for permanent residency.”

Catch 22, Mr Abbot. I am in limbo.  I have no income, I am unable to become a permanent resident, my age and circumstance of birth are entirely against me.  Therefore I can’t become a citizen.  The changes which happened on 1 July 2012 to the permanent employer sponsored visas adversely affected any possibility of my getting citizenship that way when I was still gainfully employed.

I contributed to your country for 8 years, Mr Abbott, and I am unable to get anything in return when I need it most.  Can you possibly imagine, Mr Abbott, what it felt like when Centrelink confirmed I could become homeless and I still would not qualify for any sort of assistance? None at all.  Because I am a Kiwi.

"Home", for me, is Brisbane.  I love it and I don’t want to move.  That would be very difficult anyway, as I have two senior rescue dogs which I adopted, and I have no intention of abandoning them.  But I am weary of the inequity, weary of the insinuation that Kiwis are bludgers, weary of fighting a fight that we ex-pat Kiwis just don’t seem able to win while politicians like you, Mr Abbott, control the situation.

So please tell me what I should do, Mr Abbott.  Because I no longer know.




No comments:

Post a Comment